Re: Slow VWs (long, very long)

>OK VW's might be slow compared to a Camaro on a strait road.  So
>what's your point?

The point is pent up frustration with VW owners who claim to have smoked a
Camaro/5.0/Corvette *in a straight line* with their VW.

 Camaro would be considered slow compared to a
>Porche on a strait road.

Most assuredly depends on the Porsche.  924, 914, some 944, older 911 will
not keep up with the current crop of Camaros.  Of course, that depends on
the Camaro, too - an 84 Berlinetta would'nt stand a chance against most
P-cars.

 A porche would be considered slow compared
>to a Diablo on a strait road.  These are all cars of very different
>calibers, in all practicallity they can't be compared at all.

Right!

 You
>compare a rabbit gti 1.8 8v to the likes of a Camaro V8.

I compare mine to Camaros because others have said it - not here, recently,
but I have seen it numerous times - "I smoked [some V8 torquemonster] at a
stoplight."  Umm, sure....

I don't
>think anyone on this list is silly enough to think that the rabbit
>would win, on a strait road.

Hmmm.....give me some time and Dejanews, I'd bet I could find one example
at least to say otherwise;).

>But there is one thing that I havn't mentioned yet.  Roads turn.  Yep
>believe it or not (you might not notice it) but when driving you do
>have to turn the stearing wheel on occation.  This is where camaros
>mustangs and most other cars with "bad boys club" stickers have
>problems.  Every autocross I have ever attended there has been a slew
>of and they ALL do horrible.  That is compared to the VW's and Hondas.
>Of course there is a exception to this rule that is when a very good
>driver is piloting a Camaro but then again a "good" driver can race
>in any kind of car and do well.  That is one of the greatest assets to
>being a "good" driver.

I've been to an autocross or two myself, and I would not agree with that.

Here's the results of a few classes - none of the drivers here are
nationally competitive, some interesting stuff.  Read on:).

SS      Joe Aurand                  53.765  Corvette
SS      Wayne Sartori               55.088  Camaro SS
SS      Forrest Thompson            55.334  Corvette

ES     Andy Aust                    54.790  Integra
ES     Roger Zimmerman              57.573  Mazda 323 GTX

FS      Jack Allen                  54.320  Camaro
FS      Charles Chandler            54.948  Camaro

DSP     Iain Mannix                 55.175  GTI
DSP     Terry Anhorn                55.346  Fiat X1/9
DSP     James Taylor                55.798  SciroccoII
DSP     George Counnas              55.979  ITB GTI
DSP     Kevin Wenzel                56.134  ScirocoI
DSP     Ron Anhorn                  56.889  Fiat X1/9
DSP     Darrell Adams               59.655  Rabbit GTI
DSP     Brian Stiff                 59.833  SciroccoI
DSP     Shad Shepston               60.669  SciroccoII
DSP     Alan Rosenberg              60.788  Rabbit 4 door
DSP     James Schrecengost          61.623  Adams' GTI

I beat *A* Corvette.  All the Camaros beat me.  A stock Integra Vtec beat
me (R1s).  I'm not a great driver, but I don't suck.  I am at least as good
as Allen and Chandler.  Sartori is better than me.  Aust is better than me.
Anhorn would have had 1.5 seconds on me if he had not hit a cone(phew;).
These are fairly typical results for the Denver region.  The only turbo car
is the Mazda 323, so it is not an altitude vs. forced induction kind of
thing.  I drove OK at that event (two weeks ago). I am typically one of the
faster VWs at any given CO event - Counnas and Taylor sometimes get me.
Wenzel is getting close.

>If fact if you think about, its pretty safe to say the a VW is
>capable of maintaining a faster speed around a windy road then a
>camaro.  But wait a sec!  It has been said that VWs are slow.  But I
>just said thier fast even faster then a camaro.  Yep I said it.  I
>could be wrong but I don't think so.

In our core sample, you might be wrong.  I can dig up the Nationals results
from last year if you want - the fastest DSP VW was slower than stock
Camaros, if I remember correctly.  I did not include ESP, the Street
Prepared Camaro/Mustang class, as there were no cars in it.

OK, so there's some numbers - Camaros are fast.  Both in turns and in a
straight line.  This is course dependent, in this case, it was fairly equal
- not too fast (the powerful cars walk away from me on fast days, like last
Sunday - I'll look at the results as soon as they are available).  Anyhow,
something to think about!  TTYS!

Mannix (now this is a fun discussion!)