Re: Slow VWs (long, very long)

On Fri, 2 May 1997, I.Mannix wrote:

> I've been to an autocross or two myself, and I would not agree with that.

Neither would I - Camaros are assuredly not refined, but they are most
certainly quick.  I would probably consider the current Z28 one of the
better buys around bang/buck wise - they have truckish rear axles and
look kinda funny, but they will go like stink and they *will* corner
(on a smooth road anyway) at a surprisingly high limit, although I
would definitely prefer an SP Scirocco/GTI for teeny transitional stuff.
Mannix's time sheet below shows the outcome of this (the same story is
told over and over the more results you looks at - I've got a pretty
huge archive of Sports Car magazine with a lot of SoloII National
results in them).

> Here's the results of a few classes - none of the drivers here are
> nationally competitive, some interesting stuff.  Read on:).
>
> SS      Joe Aurand                  53.765  Corvette
> SS      Wayne Sartori               55.088  Camaro SS
> SS      Forrest Thompson            55.334  Corvette
>
> ES     Andy Aust                    54.790  Integra
> ES     Roger Zimmerman              57.573  Mazda 323 GTX
>
> FS      Jack Allen                  54.320  Camaro
> FS      Charles Chandler            54.948  Camaro
>
> DSP     Iain Mannix                 55.175  GTI
> DSP     Terry Anhorn                55.346  Fiat X1/9
> DSP     James Taylor                55.798  SciroccoII
> DSP     George Counnas              55.979  ITB GTI
> DSP     Kevin Wenzel                56.134  ScirocoI

> Wenzel is getting close.

<UTTER LIE>
Actually, that time is including the 10 cones I hit, so actually I ran
a low 36!!!  Yeah!!!  Oh wait, I guess that means my car is faster than
the F-body cars...
</UTTER LIE>

:)

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/