Steering rack WAS Re: Springs go BONG!

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Shawn C. Meze wrote:

> Couild possibly your steering rack be loose?? Kinda sounds like it to me! You
> better check it out!

Speaking of steering racks, I am experiencing this interesting phenomenon
that might (I think) be due to a loose/broken steering rack.  To put it
simply, after taking a particularly hard corner in a certain direction the
steering shifts off center in that direction - so if I take a hard right
turn, going down the next straight I will notice that my steering wheel is
cocked to the right by just a bit.

This is not a really big deal - I've ceased caring much about how the thing
drives on public roads anyway, and at an autocross I'm never going straight
enough long enough to get annoyed by it... but it annoys me because I don't
know why it happens.

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/