Slow VWs (long, very long)

>Mannix wrote this stuff:
> >hatred" VW owners have toward Hondas.  I think it is just great that you
> >work on your car, but I fail to see why your perception of the amount of
> >work Honda owners put into their car should affect whether VW owners
> >"hate" Honda owners.
> >be slow cars (OK, the 2.016v is reasonably quick, but not FAST.  Camaros
> >are fast.  Mustangs are fast.  VWs are quick.), so, I think it is cool
> >Yeah, the "I smoked a Camaro/Mustang thing."  Uh, no you did'nt.  Not if
> >the Camaro/Rustang was trying.  I get in more dragraces with these cars

OK VW's might be slow compared to a Camaro on a strait road.  So
what's your point?  Camaro would be considered slow compared to a
Porche on a strait road.  A porche would be considered slow compared
to a Diablo on a strait road.  These are all cars of very different
calibers, in all practicallity they can't be compared at all.  You
compare a rabbit gti 1.8 8v to the likes of a Camaro V8.  I don't
think anyone on this list is silly enough to think that the rabbit
would win, on a strait road.

But there is one thing that I havn't mentioned yet.  Roads turn.  Yep
believe it or not (you might not notice it) but when driving you do
have to turn the stearing wheel on occation.  This is where camaros
mustangs and most other cars with "bad boys club" stickers have
problems.  Every autocross I have ever attended there has been a slew
of and they ALL do horrible.  That is compared to the VW's and Hondas.
Of course there is a exception to this rule that is when a very good
driver is piloting a Camaro but then again a "good" driver can race
in any kind of car and do well.  That is one of the greatest assets to
being a "good" driver.

If fact if you think about, its pretty safe to say the a VW is
capable of maintaining a faster speed around a windy road then a
camaro.  But wait a sec!  It has been said that VWs are slow.  But I
just said thier fast even faster then a camaro.  Yep I said it.  I
could be wrong but I don't think so.  Let me reinforce this "theory"
a bit more.  I (and I think most other drivers) achieve the most
thrill when going around turns.  After all it take zero skill to
drive down a strait road.  A car might be thought of as fast because
it goes 240 mph but if it doesn't take the turns well, who cares.
Which would you rather own a full blown drag race car or a full blown
Formula 1?  Sure the drag race car is faster but it can't take turns
at all.  This is a very dramatic example but the same can be said
comparing a camaro to a VW.

However Honda's take turns well.  This brings us to the other side of
this argument.  Honda's a good cars.  I have to admit 3 years ago
when I was looking for a car it was gonna be a Honda or a VW.  One
drive in a 16v Gti solved that decision real quick.  Honda does very
good in racing.  If I'm not mistaking they do way better then VW.
I don't think that this is why so many VW people hate them. I think
its because so many hoopty guys own em.  What these guys do to thier
car make them a complete joke. IMHO  When your a enthusiast of one
thing you off course you down on other things of an equal value.  Its
only natural.  It takes a very obsessed VW owner to actually hate a
honda owner cause of his car.  Its the car thats hated not the
person.

I don't know, you know

Sorry I can't bore you with more of my ramblings but I grow tired. :)

                                      Jay
'80 Scirocco 8v

Check out the Watercooled VW gallery...
             http://idt.net/~volkswgn