Removing Tint

Since there aren't any incredible threads floating around at this second, I
won't feel guilty about my semi-scirocco-related post  :)

My new daily driver has tint on the windows.  I was told that tint shops
charge a fortune to remove tint.  This would lead me to believe that the
process of removing tint is a hard one.  Is this true?  Can I get out there
and do it myself, or are my windows gonna look like hell?

Thanks,

CT