Re: Removing Tint

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 UndrSteer@aol.com wrote:
> My new daily driver has tint on the windows.  I was told that tint shops
> charge a fortune to remove tint.  This would lead me to believe that the
> process of removing tint is a hard one.  Is this true?  Can I get out there
> and do it myself, or are my windows gonna look like hell?

Like was said, it is a pain in the ass. Here's what I was told by a local
shop, and it works VERY well.  First, cover your interior where you are
working so you don't drip on it.    Then pull the tint off (probably a
million little pieces if its old and/or cheep tint.  Ok, now the part
thats a pain in the ass, the glue.  Mix 409 and Windex (about 50/50).
Get a bunch of VERY fine steel wool (triple or quad whatever the rating
is.... 000 or 0000 I think).  Squirt the mix on and scrub with the steel
wool.   It won't scratch the glass and works great for cleaning the rear
window.  It's great for cleaning the oxidation off that builds up on the
defroster lines too.

I done this several times.  Not the funest job, but this makes it a
helluva lot easier and safer than a ton of scraping with a razor blade.

Good luck!

Greg Davis
1985 Scirocco
Member Cincinnati Volkswagen Club
"GAK Motorsports.....Your source for European License Plates!"
http://members.iglou.com/scirocco  (Watch for coming changes and new
                                     products too!)