Re: Amp gauge

At 20:30 3/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Miles Lott wrote:
>
>> The ammeter wiring must be inserted into the current path you
>> wish to measure.  This should probably be the accessory or keyon
>> circuit, which I believe is #15 (?).

This hookup only measures the current draw of whatever is on #15, like the
ignition and engine accessories, etc. It will not show drain from lights,
radiator fan, or other things.

>	Ok, is it alright to measure the current just by having the amp meter
>inline with lets say the radio or another gauge?  Or would I have to
>splice the wire coming out of the alternator?

Remember - the ammeter only sees what current flows directly through it.
Other current paths are not measured.

A voltmeter shows 'system' voltage within a few percent if hooked to any
hot wire in the car. It will only be grossly off if you were to connect
it to a heavy load, like the headlight bulb connector.

>	This brings out another interesting point, there are three wires coming
>out of the alternator two heavy gauge red ones (which connect to the
>battery) and a blue one (which goes to the fuse panel).  A mechanic
>friend of mine said that I should connect the gauge between the two red
>alternator wires. This would give the most accurate read out of the
>charging potential of the alternator.  The question is where would be
>the best location to connect the amp gauge?

The safest way is to analyze the wiring diagram (Bentley) AND look at how the
wires in the harness run. The two red wires may be in parallel, in which
case the meter
won't read anything. This hookup only will let you know if and how much the
alternator
is charging - NOT how much the car is drawing...You need to get between the
whole
car and the battery (except the starter!) for the 'classic' ammeter - and
that is
pretty messy on newer cars.

I would reccomend the voltmeter. It's easier, and tells almost the same story.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco
'58 Ghia Convert