Re: 1989 Scirocco Info Needed

>FWIW, this does NOT apply to us ostracized Rabbit owners on the Scirocco
>list.  Only Sciroccos, as the Rabbit and Scirocco are on different lines in
>the SoloII rulebook - Rabbit owners can use any engine that came in a
>Rabbit, transplanted as a UNIT.  Can't legally get away withe a hyd head on
>a Rabbit because it says JH on the block.

I thought about you when I wrote that. Then again I didnt want to be labeled a
traitor by my fellow Scirocco owners!  :)
For my money, Rabbits and Scirocco's got a fair shake on the autox course.
Other than the fact Rabbits are a bit lighter, still, it should be quite an
even race between the 2 cars.

>No, no 10:1 engines for you.  Unless you shave the head to minium and deck
>the block - I'm thinking that would get you to 10:1.  Close, anyhow.
>Anyone know how much one can legally deck a block according to VW?  Too
>lazy to look right now.

Unfortunately for you, they remaimed (you read right, Re-maimed) the Rabbit to
Golf and therefore killed your chances of legally using the RD motor. And they
say its only a name!

>Next question - would there be any advantage to using the hydraulic head in
>DSP, aside from being free of annoying valve adjustments?  Does it flow
>better?

To my memory, the RD head has the same size valves as the JH. Leads me to
believe that it would flow the same. Depending on how well the ports were
cleaned up and port matched, as allowed in DSP rules.

>Mannix (doing a valvejob in a week, man, I REALLY want a thin headgasket
>and to take .060" off the head.....can't do it.  I'm going to take the head
>I have down *TO* spec, though - anyone know who makes the thinnest
>replacement headgasket?  Not one designed to be thin, just the manufacturer
>who makes the thinnest.....)

You can legally shave the heat .40. (increase compression about .6- .7) Then
use the VW motorsports head gasket. (1.4mm) That should be good for an
increase of about 1.2-1.4 compression total! (from 8.5-1 to 9.7/9.9-1)

There is talk that Velocity will have the ability to manufacture head gaskets
in any thickness size you want. So if you have a Turbo or G60 project and
you'r using a 10-1 compression motor, you can simply change the head gasket to
drop to the lower compression without having to change pistons, ect.
Or if your looking to gain compression, you can use a thinner head gasket. Way
cool!

Shawn