Re: 1989 Scirocco Info Needed

>I thought about you when I wrote that. Then again I didnt want to be
>labeled a
>traitor by my fellow Scirocco owners!  :)

Bah.  Same damned car, different outside;).  Thanks for thinking of me!

>For my money, Rabbits and Scirocco's got a fair shake on the autox course.
>Other than the fact Rabbits are a bit lighter, still, it should be quite an
>even race between the 2 cars.

Agreed.  They are just about the same.  Visibility is arguably better from
a Rabbit, the Scirocco has an inherently lower CG.  Both small differences.

>Unfortunately for you, they remaimed (you read right, Re-maimed) the
>Rabbit to
>Golf and therefore killed your chances of legally using the RD motor. And
>they
>say its only a name!

How true.  Tried to justify calling my car a "GTI" as the Golf GTIs are
called - can't make it fly.  Dammit.

>>Next question - would there be any advantage to using the hydraulic head in
>>DSP, aside from being free of annoying valve adjustments?  Does it flow
>>better?
>
>To my memory, the RD head has the same size valves as the JH. Leads me to
>believe that it would flow the same. Depending on how well the ports were
>cleaned up and port matched, as allowed in DSP rules.

Right, that's what I thought, so there's nothing really that would make it
a benefit.  One fewer cam bearing?  Lighter?  I suppose.

>>Mannix (doing a valvejob in a week, man, I REALLY want a thin headgasket
>>and to take .060" off the head.....can't do it.  I'm going to take the head
>>I have down *TO* spec, though - anyone know who makes the thinnest
>>replacement headgasket?  Not one designed to be thin, just the manufacturer
>>who makes the thinnest.....)
>

>You can legally shave the heat .40. (increase compression about .6- .7)

Cool, just dropped the head off at the machine shop, told them to take
.030" off.  My ruler shows that .040" will be a shade thin on my head.

 Then
>use the VW motorsports head gasket. (1.4mm) That should be good for an
>increase of about 1.2-1.4 compression total! (from 8.5-1 to 9.7/9.9-1)

Hmm, see, I wonder if the VW m-sport gasket is truly legal.  I'm thinking
about it, but it does not seem like a factory OEMish replacement.  Hmmmmmm,
I *could* order one tomorrow, hmmmmmm.  Something to think about.  I'd like
to get 9.5:1.  That'd be good.  Gotta research that one a bit more.

>There is talk that Velocity will have the ability to manufacture head gaskets
>in any thickness size you want. So if you have a Turbo or G60 project and
>you'r using a 10-1 compression motor, you can simply change the head
>gasket to
>drop to the lower compression without having to change pistons, ect.
>Or if your looking to gain compression, you can use a thinner head gasket.
>Way
>cool!

Yeah, Jeff told me about those.  Sounds neat, but AFAIK, illegal for SP.
I'd hate to lose a title for a damned gasket.  Sigh, something to think
about.  I want more power, rapidly running out of places to get it - once I
bore .040" over, do some good rings, and deck the block, the only thing
left would be a Haltech, and I am not sure how much benefit that would
really give me.  Anyone care to discuss carbs?  Heh.  I don't know where
else to look for power - my car runs well, got a good exhaust, my intake is
decent, good ignition, soon to have a limit of the rules head and good
compression.  I think 10:1 hp:weight is needed for SP - that's a 200hp
engine.  Not sure that's happening with a stock inside 1.8!  My engine is
currently putting out a decent amount of power (Kevin - Phillis was wrong
in his calculations, it is considerably higher) - I'll disclose the numbers
soon, once I know they are "stable."  Apparently, correction factors are
being a pain in the ass.  The ignition showed a 3.2% increase in hp/torque,
my power peak is at 4800rpm, the car has buttloads of torque, but
comparitively low horsepower.  I'll tell more later.

TTYS!

Mannix(and my cam sold, wow, I was curious to see what that cam would do in
a trick head!)