Re: Scirocco body parts needed

At 11:48 PM 3/24/97 -0500, TCame86712@aol.com wrote:
>I hate to "harsh" on anyone's reply, but in this case I disagree with much of
>the last reply I just read on this subject. Bolting replacement sheet metal
>onto a damaged unibody structure is a BAD, BAD idea.

Please allow me to apologize, Todd and everyone interested; in lieu of being
perhaps a little vague- let me clear my throat. Yes, one would be ill-advised
to simply bolt-on new components to a damaged frame. If I implied that, so
sorry.
IF the damage sustained is massive; the strut tower assemblies sheared away
from the horizontal columns, or vice versa, considerable repair would be
advised thru an *adequate* body shop. However, as the design of the unibody
in question is in fact
a pretty good design, the force of impact needs to be severe. When I smashed
into
the old fart in his Buick, I originally thought serious repair would be
required.
VW was smart in their design(s) in that one could smash the hood, both fenders,
the bumper, the clip, and all the lights, AND still not damage the chassis.
'Could' being the operative word.

>Take the car to a GOOD shop and have them write you an estimate. Have them
>explain the repairs they specify as needed and have them answer every
>question you have. A top-quality shop will do this. If they won't, then they
>don't want or need your business and you should look elsewhere. DON'T go to a
>cheap shop that will do cut-rate work, go to a reputable, high-end shop that
>specializes in sports or european cars.

I highly agree- provided the damage IS considerable.

>It's crucial that the structure of the car (frame, if you want to call it
>that) be aligned and restored to o.e. specs.

If the damage is severe enough to employ rigging equipment, it will never regain
its original structural integrity. The particular steel involved may be
reinforced,
but it will never be OEM again.

>If it's bent, it will wear tires wrong,
>possibly wear other components, and will not stand up to a future impact like
>it was designed to.

Yes, quite true.

>Yes, I do work in this field, if you haven't guessed. I'm an insurance
>company damage appraiser and see a whole lot of poorly-done repairs.

Sounds like youre a salesman too- NOI ;p IMHO, I havent known too many
appraisers
worth their salt- hopefully you are. But thats besides the point...

>And about those JC Whitney parts, they are Taiwan reproductions and will not
>resist corrosion or fit like the real stuff.

Do your research. Not all parts represented in the JC catalog are produced
in Taiwan. In fact, they sell parts from all over the planet.

Find good wrecking yard stuff
>instead, you'll ba happier.

Definately.

Paulo