Re: Scirocco body parts needed

I hate to "harsh" on anyone's reply, but in this case I disagree with much of
the last reply I just read on this subject. Bolting replacement sheet metal
onto a damaged unibody structure is a BAD, BAD idea. I could elaborate in
great depth, if you wish, but for now I'll try to keep it short.
You really do need to have a qualified body shop advise you on the damage.
Take the car to a GOOD shop and have them write you an estimate. Have them
explain the repairs they specify as needed and have them answer every
question you have. A top-quality shop will do this. If they won't, then they
don't want or need your business and you should look elsewhere. DON'T go to a
cheap shop that will do cut-rate work, go to a reputable, high-end shop that
specializes in sports or european cars.
After that, find another good shop and do the same thing again. This way you
can compare what the two say, and get a pretty good idea if they are being
honest. If there are differences in what you are told, ask why. They should
give you a straight answer, and not just put down what the other shop told
you. If they just insult the other shop, there's a good chance they are the
ones who are trying to rip you off.
Once you are comfortable with the shop, ask them how much of the work they
are willing to let you do. Explain your situation. They'll understand, but if
they would rather do "all or nothing" they are probably just worried about
liability, or their guarantee, so that doesn't necessarily mean they're a
rip-off, just careful.
It's crucial that the structure of the car (frame, if you want to call it
that) be aligned and restored to o.e. specs. This is what makes your car
handle and drive like it does. If it's bent, it will wear tires wrong,
possibly wear other components, and will not stand up to a future impact like
it was designed to.
Yes, I do work in this field, if you haven't guessed. I'm an insurance
company damage appraiser and see a whole lot of poorly-done repairs. Trust
me, you don't want to cut corners in those areas. Have the car pulled and
squared, if necessary, then do the bolt-on stuff if you need to save money.
It'll pay off in the long run.
And about those JC Whitney parts, they are Taiwan reproductions and will not
resist corrosion or fit like the real stuff. Find good wrecking yard stuff
instead, you'll ba happier.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Todd

P.S. I don't know where you are, but if you're in San Diego, let me know,
I'll look your car over. Also, if you have any questions about the estimates
you get, I'll help you out. My fax at work is 619-584-2218 (write "attn:
Todd" on it) Or, if you call me first I can plug in my fax modem at home, at
619-469-7670