Re: Scirocco body parts needed

At 08:43 AM 3/23/97 -0600, Ken Greenlaw wrote:
>Yesterday my girlfriend of almost two years wrecked my '87 16V Scirocco
(for the second time).    I'm taking it to a frame shop to make sure.
>Question 1: does anybody have any parts or recommendations?

I went through a version of this not too long ago. Dont bother with a
frame/body shop at all- a waste of your time and your money. All but the
friendliest and the most talented body shops will overcharge you on time.
Ironic, but true (mostly). Call around for your fenders and hood and grill.
If you find fenders close to you for 100.00 ea. youre doing
well- or JCWhitney (believeitornot) has them (Yes, Scirocco2) even cheaper;
although I and Im sure many on this list might not always vouch
for JC quality- but Im often suprised. Mark at Adirondack helped me out and
is very nice. You can replace all of your parts with a sharp knife (XActo),
a phillips head scewdriver, an adjustable wrench or socket set
(metric), and some patience. It should take a few hours. Its easy.
The zinc plates noted in some of the instruction manuals for the fenders
'should' typically come attached to the fender. Dont order them.
The adhesive can be ordered thu VW- many others (bodyshops) claim ignorance.
You dont nec. need the adhesive, but it will help elim. rattles. Blah, Blah,
coffee, coffee.....

>Question 2: do the Euro headlights provide  $300 every time a rock hits it?
IMHO, start with bulbs and relays. If the additional wattages dont do it for
you, the different beam dispersion will matter little. Beside, $300
for two brackets and four lamps is kinda high. If youre bent on the 'Euro
look', spend away...

>She drove a Mazda 626 with a crumpled front end when I met her...   Another
convert...
I would not let her drive the 16v- even if its love- until shed promise not
to wreck it upon driving it. ;p
Paul Scirocco2 16v