Re: 1989 Scirocco Info Needed

>At 03:41 PM 3/25/97 -0500, Dom wrote:
>>        Are you sure?? Like 100% that 89's didn't come with the high
>>compression block??  I hope someone out there with an 89 can double check!
>>        It isn't that I don't believe you I am just hoping....
>>
>>					DOM!
>

>Having worked in VW dealers for the last 10+ years, Mike knows more than most
>of the VW engineers do. If Mike says it, I believe it.

I would too.  Talked to him once on the phone, he knows all sorts of cool
stuff.

 For example, how many of
>us autoxers knew that the hyd head was legal in DSP?

FWIW, this does NOT apply to us ostracized Rabbit owners on the Scirocco
list.  Only Sciroccos, as the Rabbit and Scirocco are on different lines in
the SoloII rulebook - Rabbit owners can use any engine that came in a
Rabbit, transplanted as a UNIT.  Can't legally get away withe a hyd head on
a Rabbit because it says JH on the block.

 Its amazing the amount of
>worthless info he stores in that big head of his but somebody has got to know
>the anwsers! Ive also looked into the prospects of using a 10-1 block in my
>Scirocco. It would at least make the powerplants equal in power between the
>Scirocco and the GTi in DSP. But, its not to be! (Wishfull thinking failed me
>again!)

No, no 10:1 engines for you.  Unless you shave the head to minium and deck
the block - I'm thinking that would get you to 10:1.  Close, anyhow.
Anyone know how much one can legally deck a block according to VW?  Too
lazy to look right now.

Next question - would there be any advantage to using the hydraulic head in
DSP, aside from being free of annoying valve adjustments?  Does it flow
better?

Mannix (doing a valvejob in a week, man, I REALLY want a thin headgasket
and to take .060" off the head.....can't do it.  I'm going to take the head
I have down *TO* spec, though - anyone know who makes the thinnest
replacement headgasket?  Not one designed to be thin, just the manufacturer
who makes the thinnest.....)