Belts

I'm a firsttime owner of a Scirocco. I just purchased a 1985 Scirocco and I
noticed that the belts needed replacing. I had no problem getting the
alternator belt off. But when I went to remove the belt for the air conditioner
I ran into trouble. After I had loosened the bolts I could not get the
unit to pivot enough to allow enough slack in the belt to get it off.
Is there some trick I'm missing or is it just being stubborn? Thanks.

Bryan Klimek
klimek.bryan@mayo.edu
Rochester, Minnesota