Re: '81 scirocco troubleshooting

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Donovan Porter wrote:

> - While driving home, my friend (who was following me in his MR2) noticed
> the left rear wheel was slightly wobbling while I was driving.  After
> getting home, I made sure the lugs where tight.  I don't believe the wheel
> is bent...THEN I proceded to grab ahold of the top of the tire, and shake
> the wheel in and out.  It seems slightly loose, and there's a thumping
> originating from the hub.  The other rear wheel did it to.  What's this?
> Wheel bearings?

My guess is wheel bearing (you are sure the wheel is not bent?). I have
seen this happen in two other RARE instances where is was NOT the wheel
bearing:

	1. Loose stub - axle
	2. Incorrect drum installed, so that hub diameter was too large
	   to allow proper seating of the wheel.

> - Car doesn't want to "cold start" when started cold.  It just idles like
> normal (albiet, a bit rough until it warms).  How do I fix this?

See diagnostics in Bentley manual. Do all the FI diagnostics /
testing.... there are several possible causes. CIS is easy to diagnose,
but you must be orderly and methodical.

> - Both front seats "rock" slightly.  The rears are okay, but is loose where
> the adjuster up front is.  Is this normal?  It's not a lot, but you can sit
> in it, rock it, and hear a tiny thump sound.

Not normal! Could be missing nylon cover from front side mount?

> - Neither door will hold itself open.  What do I need to adjust/replace to
> fix this?  Makes getting out when carrying stuff inconvenient.

Hell on the knees too :) Use a thin flat - blade screwdriver to spread
the door travel limiters apart.

> - I will be ordering the Neuspeed suspension package (NS Lowering Springs,
> upper and lower stressbar, 22mm front SB, 25mm rear SB, Bilstein HD's or
> Boge TG's).  Any comments on the quality of these components?

Good stuff, but don't get the front sway-bar. The car will handle better
without it. If the Tokicos were too rough, you might want to get the Boge
over the Bilstein. Suspensions are a very individualized mod.... Everyone
has a preference! Try to drive some different Sciroccos with different
setups.

> Ease of installation?

No problem, just don't tear your head off when you dismantle the front
strut - housings! Get the right tools or order the housings / struts
assembled.

> How about the Bilstein or Boge shocks...any good?  How's the ride
> after I install all this crud?

Both brands are good, I would get the Bilsteins though. Ride? What is
rough to you may be just right to me, or vise-versa.

> - I will be ordering the Techtonics 14awg aluminized steel exhaust.  What's
> the quality on this?

Quality? Excellent.

Hope it helps!

Harry