Re: '81 scirocco troubleshooting

At 05:57 PM 3/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>originating from the hub.  The other rear wheel did it to.  What's this?
>Wheel bearings?

Sounds like bearings, or adjustment of such.  Its a relatively easy job.

>- Car doesn't want to "cold start" when started cold.  It just idles like
>normal (albiet, a bit rough until it warms).  How do I fix this?

It probably isn't intended to have a higher idle when cold.  Usually it
is a bit lower, actually.  The cold start function is a little extra shot
of fuel while cranking.

>- Both front seats "rock" slightly.  The rears are okay, but is loose where
>the adjuster up front is.  Is this normal?  It's not a lot, but you can sit
>in it, rock it, and hear a tiny thump sound.

You need the plastic bushings - 3 pieces per seat.  Cheapf from the dealer.

>- Neither door will hold itself open.  What do I need to adjust/replace to
>fix this?  Makes getting out when carrying stuff inconvenient.

A screw/rivet probably fell off the door stop hinge thing at the door side.
The mount is flopping around inside the door.  I still need to fix this...

>- I will be ordering the Neuspeed suspension package (NS Lowering Springs,
>upper and lower stressbar, 22mm front SB, 25mm rear SB, Bilstein HD's or
>Boge TG's).  Any comments on the quality of these components?  Ease of
>installation?  How about the Bilstein or Boge shocks...any good?  How's the
>ride after I install all this crud?

The ride will be stiffer than stock.  I have the Neuspeed/Boge TG on
my Scirocco, and I wish it was a little softer.  But it corners like
crazy! :)

Miles Lott (http://www.insync.net/~milos)
(mailto:milos@insync.net)
93 Corrado SLC, 82 Scirocco