Re: '81 scirocco troubleshooting

<<
 >Okay waterheads.  After owning my '81 Scirocco for almost 2 weeks, here are
 >some observations.  Can anyone diagnose the possible problems?

 >- While driving home, my friend (who was following me in his MR2) noticed
 >the left rear wheel was slightly wobbling while I was driving.  After
 >getting home, I made sure the lugs where tight.  I don't believe the wheel
 >is bent...THEN I proceded to grab ahold of the top of the tire, and shake
 >the wheel in and out.  It seems slightly loose, and there's a thumping
 >originating from the hub.  The other rear wheel did it to.  What's this?
 >Wheel bearings?

 You should pull the drums, clean the bearings, and check for metal filings.
If you see none repack the bearings, if you do then replace them. Replace the
seals and reinstall the drums. You can even check or replace the brake shoes
and wheel cylinders too. Torque the 24mm axle nut to 87in.lbs  while turning
the drum then loosen slightly. This sounds wierd but this is straight out of
the Bently Book! Be sure to use new cotter pins.

 >- Car doesn't want to "cold start" when started cold.  It just idles like
 >normal (albiet, a bit rough until it warms).  How do I fix this?

 You could have several problems. The simple to check is unbolting the cold
start valve on the intake put it into a jar and have someone crank over the
car if it sprays fuel then after about 10 sec it should stop. If it does this
it's okay. Remember to ground the ignition wire from the coil before cranking
the car and don't smoke!

 For the rest of the tests you should get a Bently book and the out of print
Idiot book and you'll need some fuel pressure gauges.

 > - Both front seats "rock" slightly.  The rears are okay, but is loose
where
 >the adjuster up front is.  Is this normal?  It's not a lot, but you can sit
 >in it, rock it, and hear a tiny thump sound.

 You need seat rail bushings West Coast Metric has them Part #531-8804 $10.75

 >- Neither door will hold itself open.  What do I need to adjust/replace to
 > fix this?  Makes getting out when carrying stuff inconvenient.

 On most early sciroccos the weld, rivet or bolt for the door stops is broken
 or  the rod needs to be spread with a screwdriver

 >- The front springs are Tokico's (too stiff for me), and the rears are
 >Eibachs.  Rear shocks are red Tokico's, and the fronts are ?....anybody
want
 > to buy these for their Scirocco I?  $100 USD for all.

 > Here's some other misc. info:

 >- I will be ordering the Neuspeed suspension package (NS Lowering Springs,
 >upper and lower stressbar, 22mm front SB, 25mm rear SB, Bilstein HD's or
 >Boge TG's).  Any comments on the quality of these components?  Ease of
 >installation?  How about the Bilstein or Boge shocks...any good?  How's the
 >ride after I install all this crud?

 Sounds like what you want to do is great they are good parts how ever if
Tokico are to stiff for you then you might want to use Boges, HD Bilstein
would be stiff but then again marbe the struts that are on your car are shot.

 >- I will be ordering the Techtonics 14awg aluminized steel exhaust.  What's
 >the quality on this?

The best choice you could make be sure to replace it from the dual down pipe
back it'll be great

 Hope this helps
Steve Toughill
Mainely Metric