Re: '81 scirocco troubleshooting

At 05:57 PM 3/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Okay waterheads.  After owning my '81 Scirocco for almost 2 weeks, here are
>some observations.  Can anyone diagnose the possible problems?

Waterheads? oh.

>- While driving home, my friend (who was following me in his MR2) noticed
>the left rear wheel was slightly wobbling while I was driving.  After
>getting home, I made sure the lugs where tight.  I don't believe the wheel
>is bent...THEN I proceded to grab ahold of the top of the tire, and shake
>the wheel in and out.  It seems slightly loose, and there's a thumping
>originating from the hub.  The other rear wheel did it to.  What's this?
>Wheel bearings?

Loose wheel bearings. Tighten them and your troubles are over. Better yet, this
is a newly purchased Scirocco, you might want to remove one bearing and check
it's condition. If it looks worn, you better check the other side outer bearing.
Odds are they need replacing, especially if the car has been driven with loose
bearings for a long time.

>- The front springs are Tokico's (too stiff for me), and the rears are
>Eibachs.  Rear shocks are red Tokico's, and the fronts are ?....anybody want
>to buy these for their Scirocco I?  $100 USD for all.

Tokico makes springs? I thought they just made shocks.

>Here's some other misc. info:
>
>- I will be ordering the Neuspeed suspension package (NS Lowering Springs,
>upper and lower stressbar, 22mm front SB, 25mm rear SB, Bilstein HD's or
>Boge TG's).  Any comments on the quality of these components?  Ease of
>installation?  How about the Bilstein or Boge shocks...any good?  How's the
>ride after I install all this crud?

Much better since you dont have swaybars on it now. The swaybars alone will make
the car feel great, compared to the stock non-existant feel. That shock spring
setup will make the car ride firm, but not harsh.

>- I will be ordering the Techtonics 14awg aluminized steel exhaust.  What's
>the quality on this?

Good stuff, unless you live in a salt region. The alumnized system should last
you a lifetime if you are someplace where they dont salt the roads ro if you
simply dont drive it in the wintertime. Otherwise, your looking at a 2yr waranty
but it should last well beyond that.

Shawn