Re: Bent(?) rear axles

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Ray Dowling wrote:

>  Is this commonplace or am I the victim of a curse? Any way, is this
> something that an allignment shop can fix with shims or some means other
> than replacing the axle? If so, how much can I expect to pay?

My rear is misaligned too. One solution is to take a straight axle (but,
how will you know it is 100% straight and hasn't been hit at all?) and
put it on, but that would require messing with the rear brake lines.

Easiest fix is: go to a shop and tell them to measure your misalignment
(IN DEGREES!!) in both camber and toe. Then go out and buy shims and
install them yourself (it is relatively easy) or have the shop install
them. There are many companies out there that have shims for all
different degrees. I was told that, as a rough rule of thumb, as long as
you are less than 2 degrees out of camber/toe, it is fine to use shims to
straighten the rear. (Shims are dirt cheap, by the way, don't let any
shop full you. I got shims for $6 each from a local retailer).

Ilias