Tire size question . . . ?

      OK this is a weird one. . .  . . I'm getting new tires for my 14 by 6
rims , all the tire places local and nation wide (like tirerack ) say I can
fit 205/60/14 in a rocco . Even the local VW places say so. . . . So I just
went ahead and ordered them. Then I went down into my clutered garage or car
hole as moe from the simpsons calla it and stuck my fingers between the
spring and tire to find about 5 mill to 1 cm of space. . . . . my question is
am I SCREWED or do you guys think it will fit. . . .?
    Should I try them or should I send them back to tire rack and get
195/60/14. . . .?
      Danny Gimenez
      88 16v tornado red 150,000 and going on the stocker engine. . . . .

   PS is anyone going to the  car show on the 22 at lichfield conn. . . .?