Bent(?) rear axles

My first VW (a Rabbit) had a rear axle that was bent as if the car had
been fully loaded and driven on two wheels. After this car burned (may
it rest in peace), I looked at a Rabbit GTI that had a similar
problem... Now today, I was contemplating new tires for my '81 "S" and
decided to check & see how the old ones had worn. AAAH!!!! I can't
believe this! Even my beloved (though multi-colored) Scirocco has a bent
rear axle.
 Is this commonplace or am I the victim of a curse? Any way, is this
something that an allignment shop can fix with shims or some means other
than replacing the axle? If so, how much can I expect to pay?

 Ray - '81_S (1.8L, G-Grind Cam, Carb, Hydrolic Head)
             (And an axle that resembles old training wheels)