Re: tach + spark shorting out

Dan Sletten wrote:

> Well, my roc at least got me home (Bay Area) from San Diego without
> incident, but it has exhibited a most distressing tendancy upon my
> return.  This has happened 3 times in the last 2 days:  I'll drive
> around for ~3 mins after a cold start and then my tach and engine
> go dead for about 1 sec!!!  Leaving it in gear allows it to start
> up again after this 1 sec interval.  I see in the wiring diagram
> that the tach and the coil both get power from the Ignition Control
> Unit, so I see how they could short out simultaneously, but I'm still
> not too sure how to track down the culprit.
>
> Anyone out there seen this behavior before?
>
> -Dan
> 88 Scirocco 16V
> Palo Alto, CA

The same circuit in the ICU controls both the coil amp and the signal
out for the tach. (If my electronics background serves me well.)

Perhaps the Hall sender in the distributor is going bad. It tells the
ICU when to fire. Check grounds and power also.

I've replaced the ICU to solve this, and it worked for me.

--
ËøÈ
Roccin 'Ron