tach + spark shorting out

Well, my roc at least got me home (Bay Area) from San Diego without
incident, but it has exhibited a most distressing tendancy upon my
return.  This has happened 3 times in the last 2 days:  I'll drive
around for ~3 mins after a cold start and then my tach and engine
go dead for about 1 sec!!!  Leaving it in gear allows it to start
up again after this 1 sec interval.  I see in the wiring diagram
that the tach and the coil both get power from the Ignition Control
Unit, so I see how they could short out simultaneously, but I'm still
not too sure how to track down the culprit.

Anyone out there seen this behavior before?

-Dan
88 Scirocco 16V
Palo Alto, CA