Re: No A/C

At 03:52 PM 6/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I really want to take out the a/c in my 80 Scirocco and I have a few
>questions.  I went to the junkyard this weekend and collected all the
>mounting hardware required to mount the alternator from a non a/c car.

Thats half the battle. Once you have all the parts needed to convert it
to a non A/C car, you just need to start removing the A/C from your
car.

> At this time I also, tried to take out the a/c from another 80 VW.
> Neither one of these jobs was very easy.  Enough about the first, I
>have some questions about removing the a/c from my own car.
>1)  It seems like I have two radiators, will I need both of these once
>I get rid of the a/c?

The radistor or Condenser in the fromt of the radistor is what you will
need to remove. if your not sure which one this is, simply trace the
hoses from the A/C compressor to the condenser. Remove it. Keep the
water radiator!  :)

>2)	There are two hose coming from the a/c, one to the radiator, one
>goes into the cabin of the car, do I need to replace these hoses as a
>complete unit?  They don't seem like I can just unattach them from the
>a/c then attach them to the radiator.

You dont need these anymore. Remove them completely. To remove the
lines from the back of the A/C compressor, follow both lines to the
back of the compressor. You will see a bolt going into the compressor
which holds down a plate that the metal hoses go into. Remove each bolt
and the lines will come right off. You will need to go inside the car
to discnnect the lines from the other radiator inside the car. Its up
to you to leave the radiator inside the car or remove it. It should be
pretty straight foreward, just time consuming.

>3)     Are there any other little things I need to know about?
>
>Thanks,
>John
>80 Scirocco S

That should about cover it. I dont know of anything else that may be a
suprise.
HTH

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi