Re: '84 Scirocco

At 09:40 AM 7/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>A couple parting questions: I've heard rave reviews about putting
>synthetic lube in the gearbox, but the VW dealer recommended against it,
>saying my halfshaft seals would most likely leak. ?   The reason is, I
>have a worn syncro and unless I double-clutch it grinds going into 3rd.
>Some people have had luck curing this w/ a synthetic.

Well, chances are good that if you were to replace the drive flange seals,
your input shaft seals would leak as well. Its true that a good synthetic
will help reduce the grinding that goes on in a VW it wont solve the problem
of a bad synchro. There is only one way to fix that. You could try using a
synthetic and see what happens.  Just beweare that if you do and the input
shaft seals leak, your gonna waste the clutch.

>I'm sure my dealer would recommend an entirely new clutch. *grin* This
>should be repairable, though, right?

Like anything mechanical, if your gonna pull the tranny for any reason, you
might as well replace the clutch.

You might want to start shopping around for a good affordable tranny mechanic
that will replace your bad synchro(s) and seals. While he's at it, he can put
in the clips that are missing from your tranny and avoid the dreaded self
maching tranny syndrome. Its a fine investment.
It might also be cheaper to have Mark send you all the parts you will need
and just have the shop replace the items. That way you dont get raped for
"their" parts. (Since lots of shops like to charge 100% markup for parts.)
HTH!!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi