Synthetic tranny fluid...

RE: '84 Scirocco

> A couple parting questions: I've heard rave reviews about putting
> synthetic lube in the gearbox, but the VW dealer recommended against it,
> saying my halfshaft seals would most likely leak. ?   The reason is, I
> have a worn syncro and unless I double-clutch it grinds going into 3rd.
> Some people have had luck curing this w/ a synthetic.

     Well, I went to synthetic in my tranny and have had no problems that
weren't already there.  The transmission flange seals, (center caps), were
leaking on mine already, so I lost about a quart of my synthetic.  At $11.00
a bottle I suggest carefully inspecting the transmission for possible leaks
and replacing any seals that look bad.  The synthetic fill helped my cold
shifts a lot to start with, even with the -30F snap we had I was able to
drive the car and actually shift it cold.  It also helped get rid of my
annoying 1st-2nd grind.

     Sean
     wildfire@albany.net
     SYSOP: BOB'S WORLD BBS