Re: Starting Engine After Long Periods

At 10:16 AM 7/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>1. I'm firing up my baby this weekend after about 8-9 months of not
>running.  Any thoughts on how to be gentle?  I'm planning to add a
>little bit of oil into the fill neck.

You want to also change the oil and filter. Squirt some oil into the
cylinders will help also. (just a little, dont go crazy with it.) You
might want to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the motor until you get
oil pressure before you start it for the first time. To go to the
exreme of things, remove the distributor and fabfricate a rod to fit on
the oil pump so you can put a drill motor on it and prelube the motor
before you start it. its nice to have oil in the journals before it
actually gets cranked over.

A new cap/rotor/plugs would propbably be nice as well.Fully charge the
battery, clean the connectors real nice. Visually inspect the intake
system, you never know what is living in it by now.

For got sakes, dont rev the crap out out of it when it does finally
start! When you first get it started, let it simply idle for a good
solid 10 minutes. Let everything break back in gently. Do you see how
rusted your rotors look? Well, the internals have a slight degree of
rust inside and it will need some time to break itself back in and
clean off the rust off the cylinders walls. (Its nowhere near as severs
as the rotors I asure you but there will be some slight corrosion going
on there.)
HTH!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi