Re: Leaking Gas Tank

At 09:38 AM 7/24/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I recently purchased a 1987 16v scirocco (as a second car, the first is a
>90g60), and I have discovered it has a leaking gas tank.  I understand
>the there was a recall on this, however the recall has already been done
>on the vehicle.  Has anyone else ever been in this situation?  Secondly,
>has anyone ever replaced the gas tank themselves?  Can anyone give me
>some pointers?
>Thanks in advance,
>
>David L.

I have no experience with either the Recall or changing the fuel tank in the
Scirocco. But, from previous experiences and reading through a manual or two
it seems pretty straight foreward. Drain and disconnect. Nothing special to
know really. Just be prepared to replace all the hoses since they tend to be
brittle and break or worse, leak once you've put in the new tank in and filled
it up with fuel.
Have you found the exact spot its leaking from on the tank?? Im wondering if
maybe its leaking from a vent hose or something and running down someplace
else putting the blame on the tank?

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi