Re: Transmission or Clutch?

>When slowing down in gear it happens.

OK...

>Noise goes away if I push the clutch pedal down.
>Noise goes away if I pull the car out of gear, leaving clutch alone.

sorta kinda the same thing.....

>Noise subsides if I rapidly steer the car from side to side while slowing.
>No noise at all when standing still, clutch in or out, neutral or not.
>(The combination that would actually _move_ the car not withstanding)
>The noise is almost non-existant when accelerating or it doesn't do it
>at all when accelerating.

My guess is inner CV joint.  Throwout bearings sound sorta like a whoosh,
which subsides (often) fairly quickly.  When my inner cv went, it sort of
ticked under deceleration.  Steering side to side will put load on the CVs,
sorta like acceleration, as the outer wheel is starting to rotate faster
compared to the inner.  Make sense sorta?  That'd be my guess.  Could be
outer, too, I suppose, but in my experience, the outers will not click
while decelerating, but feel more like a warped rotor.  I'm sure an outer
can click, however - mine did not.  Anyhow, I'd look at the cv joints, take
them apart, look for grooves worn into the outer part of the inner joint,
see if it looks as if the balls have room to move back and forth, ahh, that
does not make sense.  With mine, I could temporarily "fix" the problem by
repacking them with grease - maybe grease all four, as they sit (if it is
questionable as to whether they are worn), drive it, see if it changes.
Best of luck!

Iain Mannix