Transmission or Clutch?

I've got a problem with my 88 16v.  It's making a wierd noise, which only
happens under unusual circumstances.  The noise sounds like a rapid ticking,
which varies in intensity and rapidity (good word, eh?) with wheel
rotation.  It sounds a little like a piece of metal being whipped around,
it's not a 'good' noise.

Anyway, here's when/how it happens:

When slowing down in gear it happens.
Noise goes away if I push the clutch pedal down.
Noise goes away if I pull the car out of gear, leaving clutch alone.
Noise subsides if I rapidly steer the car from side to side while slowing.
No noise at all when standing still, clutch in or out, neutral or not.
(The combination that would actually _move_ the car not withstanding)
The noise is almost non-existant when accelerating or it doesn't do it
at all when accelerating.

Just today, I discovered that the noise MAY not happen at all in 1st gear,
accelerating or slowing.  I will test more completely and get back here
with results.  Opinions?  Broken syncro?  Differential?  CV joint?
Broken clutch teeth? throw-out bearing?  Final drive?  WHAT!?! :-)

Any advice at all is appreciated.  Thanks.

==Brett