Re: Transmission or Clutch?

Well Brett, it sounds like your car is displaying the same kind of
sound that made me keep my car at home.  When I brought it to my
mechanic, he couldn't find the problem, but I am happy to say the sound
went away when I picked it up.  It was the same in that it sounded like
a piece of metal being spun around inside the tranny or something like
that.  We checked the flywheel, the waterpump/power steering/alternator
pulleys, valve springs, timing chain and everything is tip-top.

	He also thought that maybe one of the "fingers" on the pressure plate
(I think I mean the right thing here) might have a crack or be broken
off.  We eliminated that by depressing the clutch. Which is to say that
the sound occurred whether my clutch was engaged or not.  Mind you, my
car would make the noise if I was accelerating, or if I was even revving
it without the car being in gear.

	The last couple of options were that something could have been somehow
stuck in the exhaust and dislodged, or there was something within the
tranny that wasn't showing itself by hacking up the flywheel.  Good luck
with your problem.

jason
87 16V