Re: Air conditioning and R134a

>Interesting that you should make these claims. The papers that came
>with the 134a conversion kit I used, said to fill the system only to 80%
>capacity. (sounds like lower pressure to me) It also cools better than
Actually, the lower volume of fluid required to fill the system indicates a
*higher* pressure......

PV=nRT

BTW, p47-58 of the April 1997 issue of *Motor Service* magazine has an article
on doing conversions. It discusses some very good points regarding the
conversion, specifically from a mechanics point of view.

They also have a side bar on FRIGC FR-12:

"...as of March the stuff [FR-12] costs $325 for a 30-lb jug (almost $11 per
ound, compared to $99 for 30-lbs. of R-134a, with no prospect of its coming
down." (p53)

The article also suggests cool (for the consumer) things like the labor for
conversion shouldn't take more than 3 hours, that the cost should not even
approach $1000 even if the compressor needs replacing, and that the pressure
generated is not high enough to cause problems, especially if you make sure
that there is a high-pressure cut-out switch (or valve or soemthing). They
even provide a step-by-step set of instructions for the conversion.

Cool Article. Check it out, and do the conversion.  Also see the rag at
www.aip.com/autonet.

Rich
'87 16v