Re: Air conditioning and R134a

> Ray, I also have an '81 and want to get my AC working.  It wasn't working
> when I bought the car and now it's discharged for sure when I disconnected
> some fittings when replacing my heater core.  So who made the conversion
> kit you mention, where did you get it, and how much did it cost?  Does the
> kit tell you which seals to change and how to replace the oil?  Basically,
> I would need to know enough details so a child could do it.  Thanks,
> benton-----

 The "good" kit includes about a million (ok, maybe a few less) assorted
o-rings. You just take all the hoses apart, blow them out with
compressed air (anyone have any better suggestions?), & put back
together with new o-rings. You will have lots of o-rings left over as
the kit is designed to work with about any car. In my case, we used a
kit with no o-rings. It included a 'conditioner' that it said would make
the r-134a compatible with the old -o-rings and mineral oil... I'm not
saying this is the best route to take, but it has worked for us for
almost two months with no noticable pressure loss. Again, even if it
does start to leak, we're talking $5 a can. No problem. :)

 Ray '81_S