Re: overheating problem

knarphie wrote:

> Anyone have a problem with their scirocco randomly overheating and boiling
> over? I've checked eveything i can think of off hand (sticking/broken
> thermostat..etc.) and have come up with nothing. and if you have had this
> happen before did you notice the water likes to come through the firewall
> somehow, go behind the fuse block (woohoo thats always fun), then drop down
> onto your left foot. Or do i have a hole in the firewall of my 88 16v that
> shouldnt be there?

 Sounds like the thermo-switch may be bad. I've had this happen on a few
A1 VWs. A good temporary solution is to wire the fan off the ignition.
No, it won't ruin your gas milage, etc... Your thermostat prevents that.
The only problem it might cause is extra wear on the fan motor.
Eventually you may want to replace the switch.

 Oh yeah... And yes a bad switch can make the overheating seem very
RANDOM.

 Ray '81_S