Re: NOLOGY DYNO TEST!

> At 06:07 PM 7/7/97, Shawn blathered:
> Chris wrote:
> >(I'm getting my flame suit on now)
>
> Why, is it getting hot? :)
>
> >Not to over simplify ignition systems,
> >but of all the things an engine does, creating a spark may be so relatively
> >simple that, in a stock or near stock engine, there is not much improvement
> >to be made.  That is, we may be at about 99% efficiency, so any improvement
> >may be minimal.

> For the most part, I agree. I think my problem was I was bombarded from
> fellow racers with amazing stories on how well the Nology system worked at
> improving power ect. Naturally, they were all suckered into the feeling the
> wires gave at extremely low RPM's. So, I was the next sucker.

You'd be surprised what can be gained over a stock ignition. Multiple Spark
Discharge can give fairly significant gains in the low RPMs, and tweaking
your timing with a custom map can really give some more power, especially if
you're willing to use higher octane gas, and/or have a modified engine. I've
even seen discussions on the use of feedback mechanisms other than just
knock sensors to figure out the exact right firing angle and adjust for
several other factors that would be difficult to do with simple maps. But as
far as what they're doing, it is kinda hard to get power gains over stock
with merely a wire and coil swap, unless your current setup isn't working
properly.
    I don't know if I'd consider the tests accurate enough to say that
the wires were definitely causing losses, one test each way per engine
really isn't definitive, even if the order of testing were reversed.
A few more pulls each way might say more about the wires, as well as
verifying that the conditions remained constant by calculating the SAE
correction factor. But I do think the test show that if there is a gain ,
its very minimal, and is probably nothing more than a slighly smoother idle.

> > (For instance a 300 Mz CPU with 128 MB of RAM may make
> >your DOS word processor faster than your 233 Mz CPU with 64 MB of RAM, but
> >what have you really gained?)

 If you're running dos with 128MB of RAM, you've gained nothing but a leaner
wallet. Last I heard, DOS would do nothing with anything more tha 16 MB of
RAM because Bill decided a long time ago that was more than ample address
space. But I digress....

> >That does make it attrative.  Kind of like the weight loss device that is a
> >leather belt that goes around the waist and a motor jiggles your fat,
> >supposedly jiggles it off.  "Ah, I can lose weight with out doing any
> >work!"  We've all seen the ads on TV.

> What do you mean? Are you saying that stuff doesnt work either?? My gawd,
> what are we all comming to???

  He was being sarcastic Shawn, everyone knows that stuff works. If it
didn't work, do you think reputable newspapers like the Globe or the
National Enquirer would allow them to advertise these products?

> >I was thinking in terms of things like medical tests.  Ie, a specific
> >methodology or protocol with 134 people in one test, 345 in another and
> >1,009 in a third.  Compare the results and analyze.

> This is mechanical. Usually 1 or 2 is good. Especially when your testing one
> component on different engine configs. (Like my CIS 8V and Mikes CIS-E 16V.)
> We both showed a drop in hp with the nology system. We even did the tests
> backwards from the other so if the heat was a factor, it would show up, but
> it didnt. Same HP drop.

  There's also the cooldown period to consider. One car cooled down more
than the other before the first test right? I still don't think there were
enough runs to be certain that they really caused the loss. At work, we run
several runs each way, mixing the runs up, one run we have an exhaust,
the next not, then again with the exhaust, etc.

> Also on the nology's advantage, we both used an older set of stock wires! I
> thought Mikes 16V wires were gonna break they were so brittle looking. So,
> the more I think about it and the more Nology avoids my phonecalls, im
> beginning to think Nology is crap. (Somewhere in there im getting pissed!)

 The wire braid Mannix is referring to in other posts sounds more like a
shield wire than anything else. It would have to be connected at both ends
for that to have a capacitive effect, like a transmission line. I don't
quite understand how they think a big capacitor is good. Bigger capacitors
generally respond slower than smaller ones, although they hold more charge.
I didn't really understand what they're claiming, most of it didn't make
sense to me. The more I looked at the web site, the less their claims made
sense.

Brad