Re: NOLOGY DYNO TEST!

At 2:07 PM -0600 07/05/1997, Shawn C. Meze wrote:
>At 06:18 PM 7/4/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hee hee hee, should'nt have kept my mouth shut all this time!
>
>Sure you should have. You had no way of knowing, just lke the rest of us.

Had pretty good reason to doubt - rumor has it (I've heard it from someone
other than my source, therefore it's fair game) that the "spark
demonstrator" in the ad - the clear plastic thing, small spark/big spark
has a great big capacitor hanging off the back of it.  Hmmm.  Interesting.
What's a big capacitor for?  Why would Nology have one of those bolted out
of sight to their spark demonstrator?  To make the spark *bigger*?  Maybe.
So, I had my doubts - it seems as though they were willing to be a bit
deceptive in their ads, hmmmm.  But, yes, I am one to keep my face shut if
I don't KNOW.  I suspected, but I did'nt know.

 Now
>we all got proof and you get to be the laughing boy of Boulder! Pretty cool
>huh? I payed $$$ to find out my wires suck! Ya, I think its funny too.... Im
>just glad I didnt pay full price for the damn wires. Hey, they do look good!!
>I wonder if I should e-mail Nology my results? Think they will like that?

YES.  Yes they will, send it.  I think it is worth knowing - my biggest
gripe with Nology is this - their "capacitor" costs very little.  It is
wire braid.  Somehow, though, you wind up paying hundreds for these
(admittedly attractive) wires under the pretense that they make more power.
Not my kind of marketing strategy.

>> FWIW.  I'm not surprised that the
>>response/idle improved, but I am surprised that there was no gain.
>

>Why? Im not enough of an electrition to know why it makes things run smoother
>at idle yet kills 2 ponies?

Nor am I, but the smoother idle has something to do with the bigger spark -
the spark *is* bigger with Nwires, bigger and shorter.  More gets burned at
idle, but what happens at high RPM?  Maybe the spark is not burning enough.
Maybe?  I don't know.  More spark will result in better idle.  Why less
power.  Hmm, thinking, see if I can pull something out of something.
Shrug.  Dunno.  I'll ask a friend - there's an answer.

 It just doesnt make sence to me. It sure isnt
>worth the money it cost to have a smoother idle AND give away 2hp.

No.  Not worth it.

>>Grin,
>>SOMEDAY, I'll be telling you of the cool ignition I have on my car which
>>shows a *real* 3.5% gain on the dyno.  I've had it a while, but it is not
>>"ready" for production yet.  Sigh.  Someday.  OK, so, glad we have the
>

>Im waiting to hear it! (still) :)
>Whats the holdup on production? Im curious. if it does show a gain on your
>car, has the maker installed your system on otehr types of cars to determine
>if its an across the board gain? Id think he would want to do as much
>research as possible before producing and marketing the system. (Maybe thats
>the holdup on production eh?)

Yes, R&D is holding things up.  This guy is neurotic about documenting
GAINS.  He plans to sell to racers, and racers typically don't get sucked
into snake oil, they typically don't buy things with reputed gains.  As far
as other cars, he has done something on an ESP Camaro, Chevy Pickup,
Porsche 911, VW Rabbit, VW 16v, Nissan 200SX-SER(very experimental, got a
coil on a car which never had a coil, yet to see it), not sure what else.
Miata?  Dunno.  Neon.  A few things.  Datsun 510, a 14 second, 225hp EP car
(14s at 5400'.  In a 510.  Yikes).  Yeah.  The EP 510 showed a 10% increase
from stock to his full race system.  Yeah, 20 horsepower.  Saw the dyno
sheets myself.  Wow.  So, he has done a few systems, but I guess things are
not ready yet - I know he is doing the lawyer thing right now, too.  So,
when I know, you'll know.....

Mannix(just got back from watching the PCA races, old turbo Cup car there,
supposedly he was hitting 160 on the back straight.....yow)