Cylinder heads

Can anyone tell me if there is a benefit to a head with
solid lifters vs hydralic... I know hydralic(sp?) are quieter
and are maintennance free and self adjusting  ( I also know what happens
to them when the previous owner doesn't chage the oil very much ;)

BTW my buddy who gave up his GTi for a prelude is out shopping
for a new VW!!! ( see he learned !!)  Any thoughts on buying vs leasing?

Thanks
Dave