Header

I've just installed an exhaust header on my scirrocco and it was
not to tight a fit, at least .  What I didn't like about the job was
doing all that undercar work. I found it best to just cut the bolts
and pipes with a sawzall to make the work quick.  What I find
interesting about the results is that my car is louder than before
and now my idle speed is much higher than before, going to
have to adjust that.  Furthermore the gains were not all that
impressive but the engine does rev up a lot easier than before,
maybe if I change my exhaust from the cat back it would help.
BTW does anyone know why I have the solid lifter head on an
86 Scirroco instead of the hydrualic type, I thought they
changed over in 85?  Would I benefit by changing over to the
hyd type head from a gti?  Your input on my exhaust and lifter
questions are appreciated.

THX - Richard Reyes

P.S. does anyone know if I should change the cat for a better
flowing type.