Re: Header

>I've just installed an exhaust header on my scirrocco and it was
>not to tight a fit, at least .  What I didn't like about the job was
>doing all that undercar work. I found it best to just cut the bolts
>and pipes with a sawzall to make the work quick.

Alright!  Another header out there!  The CONTROVERSIAL piece of performance
equipment.  I'm w/ you, though, Rich.  I BOUGHT one, but I didn't install it
for other reasons--another story.  Anyway, to all you kids who might be
doing this, good for you!  But as you may or may not know, headers have a
reputation for braking.  A REPUTATION, not a fact.  Just to be on the safe
side, I would NOT cut the downpipe/manifold into oblivion.  Get them out
intact so that IF your header brakes, you will not be stranded.

>What I find
>interesting about the results is that my car is louder than before

Argh Argh Argh!!!!

> Furthermore the gains were not all that
>impressive but the engine does rev up a lot easier than before,
>maybe if I change my exhaust from the cat back it would help.

Yes, I would DEFINITELY recommend that.  I don't know about switching
cats.....guys?  You would probably want a Stainless Steel exhaust
(cat-back), unless you want to replace your exhaust again in 3 years.

*******www.jet-hot.com*******
Check that out if you are going to put a header on your car.  Send it to
this place and have them *coat* it.  It costs about $100.  Ceramic, i think.
Keeps your engine bay cooler, better flowing exhaust, etc etc.  I would
definitely look into this if I installed a header.

Chris Taylor
'87 Scirocco G60-to-be

Virginia Tech
chtaylo4@vt.edu