Re: Header

I'm a new subscriber to this mailing list, but have seen a couple of postings
re. headers and exhaust. I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth:

Headers are not necesarily the hot ticket on a VW. The best bet is the
european downpipe and manifold. This is the most reliable set up and there
are only a couple of headers that can match it in performance. These are
significantly more expensive than the euro set-up, as well. Thus, one reason
for the luke-warm performance increase.

The next issue is the cat. Any aftermarket cat will flow better than a stock
unit. The aftermarket manufacturers have less stringent requirements to
follow in their production and longevity which ends up translating into
slightly less internal density and thus better flow.

The third is the exhaust after the cat. This needs to flow better or the
improvements upstream will be useless. The system will only flow as well as
its most restrictive component will allow. Again, a factor in your lack of
performance increase.

Don't forget the intake, too. It won't do much good to get the spent gasses
out if you can't get more fuel and air in to begin with.

And to answer the question of hydraulic vs solid lifters, the solid lifters
will give a slightly better performance edge. The sacrifice is in the need to
adjust the lifters, and in the increased noise. The performance increase is
minimal, though, and might not be worth the additional need for maintanence
unless you are looking for the last little performance edge.

This is all, of course, in my opinion, for what it's worth.

Todd Cameron
TCame86712@aol.com

Current:
'78 Scirocco