Need help firing up 84 scirocco

Hi Everybody!
  I am trying to fire up an 84 scirocco that has been sitting
for 3+ years because of a ceased air conditioner compressor.
  Here's what I've done so far:
    - Put a couple of tablespoons of oil into each cylinder
    - Cranked the engine by hand.
    - Drained the fuel tank by removing the filler pipe and
      siphoning out the tank.  I am fairly sure I got at least
      most, if  of the old gas out of the tank.   Needless to say
      there is a signifigant amount of varnish and spludge
      in the tank.  No surprise there...
    - Add a couple of gallons of fresh fuel.
    - Installed a new battery.
    - Tried to fire the car up with a can of starter fluid.

  The car turns over fine and will fire and run until the
starter fluid burns off.  I am getting spark to the plugs
(although the oil in the cylinders fouled the pluges several
times ;-)).  If I remove the fuel lines that run to the injectors
I am getting fuel to the cylinders, but it is still the old
fuel that smells sorta like turpentine.
  What is the best way to purge to old fuel from the system?
Is it necessary to remove all of the fuel lines and clean them?
Any tips on the easiest way to get the car to fire up would be
appreciated!
                   Thanks In Advance!
			Arthur Hunt
--
Arthur L. Hunt                       SAS Institute Inc
snoalh@unx.sas.com                   (919) 677-8000 x6876