Heel & Toe

>        I'm not a racer (I usually obey the speed limit--who else can claim
>that?)

Uh, no-one *I* know.  At least the racers ^_^

>but I'm interested in heel and toeing.  I thought that the standard
>way is to have the ball of the foot on the brake while the heel or edge of

Yes

>        What do you autoxers do?

Well until the 97 season, for Street Prepared (most popular vw class)
pedal covers were illegal, but most folks let it slide.  So there were some.
Bend the gas pedal.  Thats what everyone I know has done.  bend it towards
the brake.  Shortens the already small gap. also I've seen some folks mess
with the pedal armature to "even" that out. Illegal, but it worked well.
I'd protest it if it worked ^_^

>downward?  Do you wear dainty little ballet slippers?  Have squid-like
>mobility in the ankle region?  Any input is appreciated, as they say.

Many folks wear those dainty little simpson's style race shoes as they are
narrow and have a nice feel with good grip, but I *LIKE* that little wooden
block in my shoe ^_^

Yeah left foot braking is difficult auto-xing also due to pedal spaceing..
sigh.  I've seen all kinds of strange setups for that.

However I have very wide feet, so its no such a big issue.  left foot
braking is a nightmare, but.. It comes in all sizes, eh?