Need help firing up 84 scirocco

>  I am trying to fire up an 84 scirocco that has been sitting
>for 3+ years because of a ceased air conditioner compressor.

I have to ask... WHY?!!!  You live in south texas? Arizona? heh sorry.
It snowed here today for the first time this season.  I'm working on pulling
out the a/c from my 85.

Anyway. Sounds like your on track.  Might want to pull the injectors, get
some new buckets and o-rings, as they are probably shot.  Problem is most
likely there.  Along with all the other bushings on the car.  Tape the
injectors
to the inside of a big-ass bucket (those green McDonalds pickle bucket. 5
gallon+?work great) and let the fuel pump go!   You may have serious
problems with the transfer
pump (late 84? small spare?) if you have one.

Also that Chevron pure techron additive is great in a situation like this,
but pricey (about 6$/bottle)  follow the instructions, but use only 1/4 tank
with it.

Be sure to listen to the fuel dist. near the drivers side (us) to see if it
is
clicking away like it is supposed to.  Check the the mass air-flow
meter, they tend to rust shut over time (heh not fun) and be sure to
lube up the throttle butterflys and cabling.

Might want to drain the tranny and add some new non-synthetic gear-oil.
oil and filter changed?  changed valve cover gasket and inspected cam?
lubed it up or checked to see if the oil pump still worked?