Fuel Injectors

Hey everyone,

I decided to change the fuel injector 0-rings on my car during my lunch
break. (Have 1.6L engine) It's raining out, I get the first fuel
injector out (the first I've ever done this) and look it over make sure
every thing looks kosher. First thing I notice is that the cylinder is
pretty greasy - no prob, just wipe it off with a clean cloth, done.
Second I notice is that I see something that looks like the 0-rings that
I bought, but not exactly.  The 0-rings are sorta soft donut looking
things.  The fuel injector as you know begins from the top at the fuel
line.  There is a sort of coupling that looks like two bolts on top of
each other.  Then where the actual cylinder of the injector begins is a
black looking, possibly an 0-ring type thing.  Since I've never had an
injector out before i'm not sure, but this isn't like the 0-rings I
purchased.  They are sorta soft and are smaller, don't have as much
mass.  The black looking things on the injector (which would not come
off by the way) are flatter (not like a donut), and more like a spacer.
Now that you know the situation, is the black thing an 0-ring?  If not,
then am I right in believing that my injectors had no sort of 0-ring on
in the first place?
Anyway, I placed one the purchased 0-rings on the injector and fitted it
snug against the black thingamajig. I plugged it in, started up the car
and my car is running better already, the engine runs much smoother -
and this is after only putting one of the 0-rings on.  I checked the
second injector (from left to right) and it didn't have anything that
looked like the 0-rings I purchased on it either.
What do y'all think?

John
80 Scirocco S