Re: Guages

>I have the 3-gauge panel in my 16v using oil temp., volts, and oil press.
> I used these three because they're the standard three, but if I were in
>the situation you are in, Chris, I would use boost, oil pressure, and
>volts.  The oil temp is pretty much a redundancy of the water temp.

Ummm......

 If
>the oil gets hot so will your coolant and vice versa.

No.  Not really.  The oil takes FAR longer to warm up than the water - I am
neurotic about not driving the car(fast) until the OIL is warm, which takes
significantly longer than the water, and an oil gauge can (theoretically)
let you know you are low on oil, before the pressure drops - happened in my
CJ once, the oil got HOT, but pressure was good.  Checked oil, seems that
it was leaking a lot more than normal - it was 3 quarts low (out of 6), and
while pressure stayed normalish, the temp skyrocketed.  IMHO, an oil temp
gauge is FAR more important to the engine's longevity than boost (so put
more gauges in!!;).  Just fyi, IMHO.  Take care, Mannix