Re: Guages

I have the 3-gauge panel in my 16v using oil temp., volts, and oil press.
 I used these three because they're the standard three, but if I were in
the situation you are in, Chris, I would use boost, oil pressure, and
volts.  The oil temp is pretty much a redundancy of the water temp.  If
the oil gets hot so will your coolant and vice versa.  Oil pressure gauge
is a must.  My brother lost an engine on his GLI because he did not have
one (now he does), the idiot light is not enough to tell you how your
pressure is doing.  The guage will give you more accurate warning signs
to pressure problems.  As far as volts I couldn't live without it now
that I have it.  It let me know when my alternator was going out and I
was able to replace it and correct the problem before the light ever came
on.  I hope this advice will help you in your decision.

Ben
86 Scirocco 16v
77 Scirocco
87 Cabriolet