Re: Tranny Question...... i know!

>Any ideas? as to why its stuck, other than a bent shift fork? Im not at
>all experienced in the internal workings of trannys, other than
>clutches and Diff kits, ect. I dont want to tear this one down, if I
>dont have to. Im kind of sick of dropping the thing. (this will be the
>3rd time in 3 months.)
>Oh Mark, -do you got any 4K trannies laying around? (Ah Crud)

Oh shawn heres MY chance to answer! I had this exact problem from a tranny i
bought from EIP (neeeeever deal with them at all costs...)
I don't know how far back this problem went, but apparently a whole bunch of
VW trannys were put together w/o the circlip on the gear selector shaft.  I
had just gotten my new tranny installed and i did a fairly hard downshift
into 3rd to pass someone.  It stuck there, and would absolutly NOT come out.
 $800 later (sending it to EIP, removing it) they told me that it was a
factory error.  Anyway you seem to be technicaly inclined so i'd assume that
you could do it yourself (assuming that its the circlip.) Of course with an
older tranny it could be a whole ton of things, but from my experience those
circlips tend to be mysteriously missing.
BTW - if you take it to VW (i dont think you would) they said that it would
probably come out to 10 or more hours of labor. >>$$<<
Good luck with it.