Re: Tranny Question......

At 07:31 PM 2/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Shawn,
>I have a great deal of experiance with these trannies. The only thing
>that you can possibly do without removing the tranny is to remove the
>back up light switch, and the two bolts (Or fifth gear detent
>depending on the model tranny) on top of the shift input shaft. See
>if this frees it up. The internal shift linkage could be hanging on
>these. If not, it sounds like you have a gog working it's way out of
>a balk ring, and the tranny will have to be completely dissassembled.
>
>     If you are interested, I rebuild these and have 8 of them in
>stock including close ratio and wides. I charge $500 plus shipping
>and core for one of these, which is likely the best price you will
>find. I can also do custom work including limited slips and custom
>gearing.
>     I can also provide referances.
>     Good luck,   Geoff Zimmer in NC

Well, since time is always of the essence, I am going to use Pottermans Tranny
guy(He custom built Mikes Tranny for his rocket Scirocco!). For $400 I will not
only get my tranny completely rebuilt, (new bearings, synchros, the usual) but I
will also get my choice of gears. (1-3 will be from a close ratio box for
autoxing and 4-5 gears will be what I have in it now for top end speed/fuel
economy.) Hes not local for me but a heck of a lot closer than NC. I'll have to
drive up the coast an hour or so but it will be worth it. Much cheaper for me.
Thanks for the offer Geoff, if I were on the other coast, id take you up on it!
Thanks everybody for the help.

Shawn