Re: Guages

>In my Scirocco 2-future G60, I'll be replacing the ashtray/single guage with
>a 3-guage panel.  I'll keep the oil temperature guage, and a boost guage
>would be mandatory.  I'm considering using a fuel pressure guage for my 3rd
>instead of oil pressure or voltmeter.  BTW, the fuel pressure seems to be a
>variable in G60 performance, which is why I'm considering it.

I did not know fuel pressure was variable in the G60.  As far as gauges,
oil temp, oil pressure, water temp are the three big ones.  Volts/amps are
good, if your alternator stops working, you might notice it before the car
can't fire the plugs/get off the road and figure it out.  A boost gauge is,
IMHO, not so imperative - but I'd still do one.  Fun, y'know.  I don't know
much about G60s, don't know if there is a way that the boost could shoot
through the roof - too much boost is bad, right?  Right.  Too little is
annoying, but is should not explodamatic your engine.  I could be wrong.

>Any comments on that, to help me make a decision?  What's most important?
>Has having an oil pressure guage or voltmeter ever saved anyone's ass?  Can
>anyone think of a guage I might want to hook up that I haven't thought of?

Yes, a friend had a Jeep CJ5 with the inline six - the oil filter got
punctured by a motor mount, and without the gauge, the engine would have
run dry.  All of a sudden, his pressure dumped - huh?  We put a new filter
on, added 2 quarts of oil, all better.  Pressure gauges are good - if your
oil light does strange things, you can look at the gauge to get an idea if
the problem is truly pressure related (bad) or something stupid.  Shift
light, maybe?  I hear the G60 does not like being overrevved.  Other than
that, oil pres/temp, water, something electrical, I cant think of much!
Good luck, Mannix