Re: Wheels! and Seat! and Brakes!

>On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Shawn C. Meze wrote:
>
>> Well, I hope he slapped you once for me! (for getting them) Thats a smoking
>> deal and you can always paint the wheels a lime green color to match.... a
>> Lime!
>
>I wonder if the corner workers would get pissed at me if I painted a spiral
>on them... you can't count hit cones if you're hypnotized!

Nah.  You don't need sprial wheels, your car does all the spinning needed;).

>> The smaller brakes wont hurt your autox times. (Well, it shouldnt) It might
>> even make the front end lighter! (Yah, I betcha didnt think of that? eh?)

I was talking to someone (Chris Jamieson, a well respected VW race guy,
once took first in DSP/second ITB for a season here in Denver - impressive,
right?  Well, he also drove the car to all events - no trailer.  Wow.) who
actually thinks the solid rotors are better choices for DSP (over vented)
because the brakes don't get hot enough to make the vents necessary.  Who
knows, I have vented rotors on mine, but I might try solid someday - cheap
experiment!  Unsprung weight is important, just don't know if it is THAT
important.  Something to think about!

>That did occur to me, actually - I remember picking the 10.1s up at the
>shop before they were installed and thinking "gee these seem heavier than
>the stock ones".  The big ones are pretty nice, but I really don't know
>that they're worth it for a little car like a Scirocco - and since I
>didn't install the bigger master cylinder they're really spongy now
>(the main reason why I can't wait to install them - being DSP legal is
>nice, but the guy that finishes consistantly 3rd or 4th doesn't usually
>get protested much...).

Yeah, we won't be protesting Lance much this season, but you, well, look out!

Mannix